“Technology changes but the people remain the same.”
I found this presentation by Andrew Chen, from Andreessen Horowitz very fascinating and still very grounded. While evaluating and looking at consumer tech companies, I think these are three core investing parameters to consider:
- new platforms hitting the scale
- existing consumer behavior
- “slingshot” opportunities to scale
Areas to look for investments:
- Video ‘native’ products – products that generate videos automatically when users engage. Ex – Sandbox VR, YouTube, Twitch, etc.
- Offline to Online products – highly visible offline experiences that drive app engagement. Ex – Pokemon Go, Google Maps, Mobile AR in your pocket, etc.
I am personally excited about e-gaming space (and it’s use cases across the spectrum apart from pure entertainment) considering it’s growth potential and high user engagement.
To see the presentation, click.